Mike Sonko launches new political party ahead of 2027 elections

Former Nairobi governor Mike Sonko stormed back into Kenyan politics Tuesday with the official launch of his National Economic Development Party (NEDP), declaring the new outfit will contest every elective seat in 2027 — including the presidency — despite a Supreme Court ban that still bars him from public office.

Sonko, whose colorful tenure as governor ended with a 2020 impeachment, received the party’s full registration certificate from the Registrar of Political Parties in a brief ceremony that drew hundreds of cheering supporters.

“This is the party to watch,” Sonko told reporters outside the registrar’s office. “We are building a movement that will help form the next government. Our foundation is economic transformation and upgrading the livelihoods of ordinary Kenyans.”

Party leadership and youth outreach

Sonko is listed as party leader, with Naomi Chebet Masai and Anthony Manyara as his deputies. John Muchai Nyamu was named national chairperson, deputized by Zablon Rashid Minyonga and Nancy Muchani.

The former governor vowed to make NEDP a big-tent movement. “We welcome everyone — Gen Z, elders, people from every political background,” he said. Starting next year, the party plans nationwide university tours to recruit and hear from young voters.

Sonko said NEDP will field candidates in all races, including the presidential contest, but insisted the flag-bearer will be chosen democratically. “It is not a must that the candidate be Sonko,” he added.

Impeachment cloud still hangs

Mike Sonko launches new political party ahead of 2027 elections
Former Nairobi governor, Mike Sonko has launched a new political party ahead of 2027 elections. Photo: PS

Sonko’s political comeback remains legally complicated. The Senate impeached him in December 2020 on charges including gross misconduct and abuse of office. The Supreme Court upheld the removal in 2022, ruling he cannot hold or run for public office.

On Tuesday, Sonko again claimed the process was unfair and cited a pending reference at the East African Court of Justice. “Kenyans deserve fairness, even from the highest court,” he said. “I will pursue justice to the very end.”

He brushed off suggestions that NEDP is a spoiler vehicle meant to split opposition votes in Nairobi, declaring: “We are a party of our own.”

Financial breathing room

In a separate development, the Tax Appeals Tribunal on Tuesday ordered the Kenya Revenue Authority to immediately unfreeze Sonko’s bank accounts, which had been restricted over disputed tax claims exceeding Sh574 million ($4.4 million).

The tribunal ruled the taxes are not collectible until Sonko’s appeal is fully determined and warned of penalties if KRA fails to comply. However, Equity Bank says it is still caught between conflicting orders from KRA and the Asset Recovery Agency, which has alleged some funds are proceeds of crime.

Early shot in 2027 race

The launch adds a wildcard to Kenya’s already crowded road to 2027. President William Ruto is widely expected to seek re-election, while opposition figures including Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka, former vice president and several current cabinet secretaries are positioning themselves.

Political analysts say Sonko retains strong name recognition among urban youth and low-income voters, the same base that powered his surprise 2017 gubernatorial win. Whether he can personally run — or whether NEDP becomes a genuine national force — will depend heavily on the outcome of his ongoing legal battles.

For now, the self-styled “people’s governor” is back in the headlines and clearly intent on staying there.

Brian Wanjala
About the Author

Brian Wanjala

Investigative journalist covering politics, business, health, education and social affairs. Multiple award winner.

More by this author →

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *