At least 70 people were killed and about 30 others injured in a brutal gang attack in Haiti Artibonite region, according to a local human rights organization, a toll significantly higher than initial official estimates.
The assault occurred near Petite-Riviere in what is considered Haiti agricultural heartland and unfolded over several hours beginning early Sunday and continuing into Monday. Residents and local officials said armed gang members stormed rural communities around Jean-Denis, opening fire on civilians and setting homes on fire.
Early reports from Haiti National Police placed the death toll at 16, with 10 injured. A preliminary assessment by civil protection authorities listed 17 dead and 19 wounded, mostly men. However, Defenseurs Plus, a rights group monitoring violence in the region, said the scale of the attack was far greater, estimating at least 70 fatalities.
The United Nations also acknowledged discrepancies in the figures. A spokesperson for the secretary-general said the UN office in Haiti is closely monitoring the situation, with estimates ranging from 10 to 80 deaths. The organization called for a thorough and transparent investigation.
Rising displacement and deepening crisis
The violence has triggered widespread displacement. Defenseurs Plus estimated that about 6,000 people fled their homes following the attack. The United Nations reported that more than 2,000 residents had already left their homes in recent days due to escalating gang raids in nearby areas.
Witnesses described chaotic scenes as families fled burning homes. Authorities said at least 50 houses were destroyed during the attack. Injured victims were taken to local hospitals, while bodies were transported to nearby morgues.
Haiti National Police said it deployed three armored vehicles to the area, but response efforts were slowed after gangs dug holes in roads to block access. By the time officers arrived, many attackers had already fled.
An audio message circulating on social media has been attributed to Luckson Elan, leader of the Gran Grif gang. In the recording, a voice believed to be Elan suggests the attack was retaliation for assaults on the group base in Savien by a rival gang.
Gran Grif is one of several powerful armed groups operating in Haiti and part of a broader network of gangs that have expanded their influence beyond the capital Port-au-Prince into rural regions like Artibonite.
The attack highlights the worsening security crisis in Haiti, where armed gangs have grown increasingly organized and independent. According to a recent United Nations report, nearly 20,000 people have been killed since 2021 as violence intensifies.
The Artibonite region, critical to Haiti food production, has become a major hotspot for violence. Repeated attacks have disrupted farming activities, worsening food insecurity across the country.
More than 1.4 million people, about 12% of Haiti population, have been displaced by ongoing gang conflict, deepening the humanitarian and economic crisis.
The United States has designated major gang coalitions, including Gran Grif and Viv Ansanm, as terrorist organizations, citing involvement in mass killings, sexual violence, arson and trafficking. Earlier this month, US authorities announced a reward of up to USD 3 million for information on the groups financial networks.
Despite increased policing efforts and promises of international support, large parts of Haiti remain under the control of armed groups. Rights advocates warn that without urgent action, violence will continue to spread.


